A 17th century historical place

The Pazo de Sestelo is situated in the place of the same name, parish of San Miguel de Siador in the municipality of Pontevedra in Silleda, has a family crest representing the Vaamonde and the Pimentel de Sotomayor.

Español     ·     English     ·     Français

On January 19th, 1707 Don Pedro de Vaamonde, lawyer of the Royal Court of Galicia, granted a will before the notary Don Juan da Riba y Gosende, owner of the Pazo de Cabenca, in San Juan de Cerdedo (Tierra de Montes). Don Pedro was in his deathbed, sick and crippled by the many ups and downs of his life, since, besides practicing professionally as a lawyer, he had been forced to serve as a captain under the King Felipe V of glorious memory, summoned by him to participate in the wars of Flanders.

Don Pedro, who died on March 16th, 1707, was married in first and only marriage with Doña Ana Pimentel de Sotomayor and Bandín, daughter of the illustrious Pazo of Villar de Ferreiros (Arzúa). In his will he instructed the transfers of ownership of the Pazo of Sestelo to his wife Doña Ana and, after her death, to his nephew Don Juan Patricio de Rivas and Vaamonde, son of the of the Pazo of Cobas (Santa Maria de Folgoso) who were, Don Antonio da Riba y de Ogando and Doña Maria de Vaamonde.

Don Juan Patricio, as result of an agreement made by his uncles, was married to a niece of Doña Ana, that is, to Doña Gerónyma das Seixas-Bolaño y Pimentel de Sotomayor, born in the Pazo of Bascuas (Arzúa).

In the first half of the 17th Century, the Pazo de Sestelo was inhabited by Don Andrés de Casal y Vaamonde, father of the above mentioned and son of Don Pedro de Casal and Moncada, Judge that arrived from Tierra de Montes in the first half of the 17th century.

At the foot of the Siador mountain, the Pazo de Sestelo, is surrounded by the green fields of Trasdeza, closed on itself with a defensive wall that includes besides the Pazo, the chapel, the house of tillage, the farmstead, house of the oven, sheds, granaries, pens, gardens, pasture and meadows, occupied by the descendants of the owner of the estate, Juan Patricio de Rivas, it has undergone at least two restorations.

The residents of the house were characterized by their status as illustrated hidalgos; included in the registers of nobility and therefore exempt from taxes, provided arms services when they were summoned for such purpose.



Information and reservations


Tel. 629 76 85 19

History                    Surroundings                    Accommodation                    Location                    Services                    Pricing                    Contact